SuperValu Travel Insurance

Any questions?For help completing your online quote please call: 0818 01 01 01 Lines open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday



Q - Is it secure to submit my personal details online?

A - Yes. Whenever we ask you for personal information, we do so within a secure environment and all details sent between your PC and our web site are encrypted. Why not find out more information about our security?

About Chubb

Q - Who are Chubb?

A - SuperValu Travel Insurance is underwritten by Chubb European Group SE. The Chubb Group of Companies is one of the world’s largest providers of insurance and reinsurance. Since its inception in 1985, Chubb has expanded rapidly and now operates in 50 countries around the world. Find out more about Chubb.

About SuperValu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance and Private Medical Insurance

Q - What is SuperValu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance?

A - SuperValu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance covers the things you would expect to find on a travel insurance policy (Baggage Money, Cancellation etc.) but it recognises that your Private Medical Insurance (PMI) policy covers you for Medical Expenses abroad, up to the limit in your PMI policy. Supervalu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance tops up that amount to €5,000,000. As Supervalu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance only pays if your costs exceed the cover you have under your PMI, you can save money on travel insurance premiums.

Q - Does it matter what type of Private Medical Insurance policy I hold?

A - Yes, it is mandatory that your Private Medical Insurance policy provides cover in respect of overseas medical expenses; otherwise you cannot buy SuperValu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance.

Q - What happens if I change my Private Medical Insurance cover or provider?

A - We do not place any restrictions on who you buy your Private Medical Insurance from, but it must provide cover for emergency medical expenses overseas. If you change your Private Medical Insurance cover, you must ensure that:

  • your new PMI provides this cover
  • that there is no break or gap in your cover between the old and the new PMI
  • -your PMI covers you for the duration of your SuperValu Holiday Plus Travel Insurance policy.

Policy arrangements

Q - Can I get instant cover and policy documents - I’m travelling today?

A - Yes! As soon as your credit card details have been validated, we will confirm your cover on screen, and to the email address you have provided. You can also choose to get an SMS with cover details to your mobile. Provided you have your policy number, emergency number and claims number, you have all the basic information you need.

Q - When does my cover begin?

A - If you are buying a single trip policy, your cancellation cover begins instantly. If you are buying an annual policy, your can choose when your cover begins (up to 180 days in the future). If you have already booked a holiday, and have no other travel insurance arrangements in place, you should ensure your policy starts immediately, so you are covered for cancellation.

Q - What happens if my flight is delayed beyond the insurance period?

A - If your flight is delayed on your return journey and you do not get back into the country until after your policy has expired, your cover will continue until your airline can get you home.

Q - Can I change my policy?

A - If you move house, we will reissue your policy for your new address. If you need to add winter sports cover or want to increase the number of people insured, you can call us on low call 0818 01 01 01. Provided you are not on holiday at the time, we can cancel your policy, give you an appropriate return of premium and arrange a new policy for you.

Q - How do I renew my annual multi trip policy?

A - We will remind you 3 weeks before your policy expires, and offer you the opportunity to buy another policy. You will need your policy number, last name, date of birth, and credit/debit card number to buy again. You can use this quick method to buy another trip policy from us too.

Insurance from Travel agents

Q - My travel agent wants me to buy insurance from them. What should I do?

A - You simply need to provide them with evidence that you are insured. Have your policy details, including policy number and policy wording, to hand when booking your trip.


Q - What if I have a medical emergency abroad?

A - Your level of cover will depend on the type of cover you have purchased. You should check your policy details or refer to our Emergency & Claims information.

Q - Do I have to pay medical expenses and claim them back or will you pay them directly?

A - If it’s a medical emergency and you are admitted to hospital, your SuperValu Travel Insurance guarantee the fees of the hospital and attending doctor(s) - so you don’t have to pay. In cases where the expenses are small, you may opt to pay, or be asked to pay, and claim the money back. Please talk to our Emergency Assistance Service, unless the case is very minor, and they will advise what to do.

Treatment in Australia

Q - What should I do if I require medical treatment in Australia?

A - The Australian Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with the government of the Republic of Ireland. As a resident of the Republic of Ireland you are entitled to free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient at a public hospital and access to subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme during your visit to Australia. This covers any ill health or injury needing medical treatment while in Australia. To access these benefits you should show your passport at hospitals or pharmacies.

If you require medical treatment in Australia you must access these benefits by showing your passport at hospitals or pharmacies. If you do not, we may reject your claim or reduce the amount we pay to you.

General Cover questions

Q - How many days am I actually covered per year under your annual policy?

A - Our annual policy covers you for individual trips of up to 30 consecutive days. You can take as many individual trips as you like providing you don't spend more than 90 days abroad in any insurance period. If you select our winter sports option, you will be covered for up to 21 days in any insurance period whilst you participate in winter sports either abroad or in the Republic of Ireland.

Q - Do the limits under the policy apply per person or per policy?

A - Each person on a policy is covered separately up to the limits shown in the policy. The policy limits apply in the same way as they would if you had each taken two separate policies. This is true for each person insured under the policy, although some benefits are restricted for children under 16 years of age - see our full policy wording for details.

Q - I am travelling to Turkey can I buy a European policy?

A - Yes, Turkey is listed as a European destination.

Q - Am I covered for holidays in Ireland?

A - Yes, provided you have bought an annual policy. You must spend at least two nights in accommodation you booked before your departure. So a weekend break involving two nights in a hotel would be covered, but a day out and overnight stop wouldn't. If you have bought a trip policy you will not be covered for holidays in the Republic of Ireland. Whichever policy you buy, some benefits are not payable for holidays in the Republic of Ireland. See the Policy Wording for full details.

Q - What am I not covered for?

A - We have highlighted what we believe are the most important exclusions and conditions in the FAQ’s. It is not possible for us to list everything you will not be covered for, and we strongly advise you to read the full Policy Wording. Under each section of cover you will find a list of exclusions on the right hand side of the page, and a further list of General Exclusions in Part IV towards the end of the Policy Wording. These sections must not be read in isolation, but within the context of the full policy wording. If you have any doubts about what is not covered, please contact us.

Medical Conditions

Q - I have a medical condition, can I be covered?

A - Before you buy a policy, we ask you to confirm that you are NOT

  • receiving or on a waiting list for treatment in a hospital or nursing home;
  • waiting for investigation or referral, or the results of any investigation, medical treatment or surgical procedure, for any condition, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed;
  • choosing not to take prescribed medication, or the correct dose of prescribed medicine;
  • travelling against the advice of a medically qualified doctor;
  • travelling to obtain medical, dental or cosmetic treatment;
  • travelling with a terminal condition;

A - If you can confirm these and the other statements we ask you to confirm, you can buy our cover online.


Q - Will I be covered for terrorist activity?

A - Yes, provided it does not involve nuclear, chemical or biological weapons or agents.


Q - I am under 18 - can I buy your policy?

A - Unfortunately, no. Policyholders must be at least 18.


Q - I am pregnant - will I be covered?

A - Yes, provided that if travelling within 12 weeks of the expected date of delivery you provide a medical certificate issued by a doctor or midwife confirming the number of weeks of pregnancy and that you are fit to travel to your Holiday Abroad. The certificate must be dated no earlier than 5 days before the outbound travel date) during a Holiday Abroad.


Q - How many children can I insure under your policy?

A - You can insure up to 7 children, Children must be:

  • the children of you and/or your partner, and
  • under 18 (or under 23 if still in full-time education) on the day you buy your policy, and
  • dependent on you or your partner even if they don’t live with you.

Q - I have a child over 18 who still lives at home and is in full time education, can we cover him/her under our family policy?

A - Yes, provided he or she is under 23 years of age.

Q - We have a ‘family’ policy, but our children live away from home during term time at college. Are they covered?

A - As long as your children or your partner’s children are not older than 18 years on the day you buy your policy (or under 23 years if still in full-time education) and dependent on you, they are covered - whether they live with you or not. But there are restrictions on their ability to travel without you or your partner. (The same restrictions apply on our ‘parent and children’ policy.)

Q - Can Children travel on their own if they are insured on a policy?

A - Yes, but only if you have bought our annual policy. If the child is named on your annual policy they are covered whilst they are travelling on their own in the following circumstances:

  • in the company of an adult (i.e. someone not defined as a child under this insurance) you or your partner know other than on an organised school, college or university trip
  • travelling on a scheduled air service as an unaccompanied minor, but only if that air service operates an unaccompanied minor scheme, and only if they are travelling with the intention of joining, or being subsequently joined by, another adult insured under the policy.

A - They are not covered whilst travelling on their own in any other circumstances.

Car Hire Excess

Q - What is Car Hire Excess Cover?

A - When you hire a car in Europe or the UK, your rental agreement should include a Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and cover for Third Party Liability and Theft. There is normally an excess applicable to the CDW and Theft part of the agreements which you would be liable to pay in the event of a claim. This excess in most cases can range from €100 - €2000. Our Car Hire Excess cover is designed to allow you to claim back the costs of this excess (in full)

Q - Who can be covered by the Car Hire Excess add on?

A - We can cover the insured person and one additonal person between the ages of 21 and 75

Q - Does adding Car Hire Excess cover to my annual multi trip travel insurance mean that I can use it multiple times throughout the year?

A - Yes - If you purchase the Car Hire Excess waiver at the same time as your annual travel insurance policy, it is valid until that policy expires. Please note that if you cancel your SuperValu Travel Insurance policy mid term the Car Hire Excess Waiver will also be cancelled. Therefore the Excess Waiver is only valid as long as your travel insurance policy is still active.

Q - I already have travel insurance with another company, can I just purchase the Car Hire Excess Waiver?

A - Unfortunately no - This product is only available as an add on for SuperValu Travel Insurance customers who are traveling within Europe. The waiver must be purchased at the same time as the travel insurance policy.

Q - Are motorbikes, Camper Vans, Caravans, and other types of vehicle also covered?

A - No - A motor home, camper van, trailer or caravan, commercial vehicle or truck, motorcycle, moped, motorbike, off-road vehicle, recreational vehicle, high performance vehicle, prestige or exotic vehicle, passenger van or other vehicle with more than 9 seats is NOT covered

Q - Is there an age limit for this product?

A - Yes - to be eligible to purchase this cover you must be between the ages of 21 - 75

Q - What countries does Chubb cover under a European Policy?

A - Europe is defined as the following in our policy wording: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia- Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (annual cover only) Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Mediterranean Island (including Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza; Corsica; Sardinia; Sicily; Malta, Gozo; Crete, Rhodes and other Greek Islands; Northern and Southern Cyprus), Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and United Kingdom, Isle of Man, the Channel Islands.

Q - I am travelling outside of Europe, can I still purchase the Excess Waiver?

A - Unfortunately not. This offer is only valid to customers who are travelling within Europe.

Q - Who is the underwriter of the policy?

A - The Car Hire Excess Waiver is underwritten by Chubb European Group SE who are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for the conduct of business.

Q - My credit card provider already covers my Collision Damage Waiver - Do I really need extra cover?

A - Please ensure that you read the terms and conditions of the policy that is provided as a benefit of your credit card carefully to establish the level of cover it has. This should determine if it covers is extended to the country that you are travelling to, and whether or not there is an Excess( non waiver, deductible) on the policy.

Q - Do car rental companies not offer this to me at their service desks already? If so why should I choose Chubb instead?

A - Yes they do. However, the excess waivers offered by car rental companies tend to be quite expensive and do not offer the same scope of cover as this one does. This option also provides cover for up to €5,000 in any one year and cover starts from as little as €3.00/€40.00 per day/year.

Q - Is there any difference between an Excess, Collision Damage Waiver, Non Waiver or a Deductible?

A - In affect there is little difference between these terminologies and they tend to be inter-changeable jargon that may vary from insurance company to insurance company. As mentioned above, CDW and theft cover are included in your rental agreement price but they are always subject to an excess (which can be referred to as CDW, Non Waiver or a Deductible)


Q - What do you mean by the term Irish resident?

A - Someone who has been living in Ireland (not Northern Ireland) for at least 180 days prior to the date the cover is applied for. Please click here if you are not returning to Ireland.

Q - I am Irish but my partner does not have Irish citizenship, can we purchase a policy to cover us as a couple?

A - Yes, provided you are both residents in Ireland and your partner is your spouse or a person of either sex with whom you have been living for at least three months as though they were your spouse.

Q - I live overseas. Can I buy your insurance?

A - Only Irish residents can buy insurance from this website.

Single direction journeys

Q - I am going to live abroad and am not returning to Ireland. Can I buy your annual travel insurance?

A - Sorry, our policy does not cover single direction trips or non-Irish residents. Trips must begin and end in Ireland and you must be a resident here.

Q - I am starting my journey from another country, but returning to Ireland after 28 days. Will your policy cover me?

A - Sorry, trips must begin and end in Ireland.


Q - How can I pay?

A - You may pay online using a valid credit/debit card. Alternatively you can contact us to purchase by telephone (0818 01 01 01). You will still need a valid credit/debit card to buy over the phone.


Q - How can I make a complaint?

A - We operate a comprehensive complaints procedure.

Sanction Country

Q - Can I travel to Cuba?

A - Chubb European Group SE is a subsidiary of a US parent and Chubb Limited, a NYSE listed company. Consequently, Chubb European Group SE is subject to certain US laws and regulations in addition to EU, UN and national sanctions restrictions which may prohibit it from providing cover or paying claims to certain individuals or entities or insuring certain types of activities related to certain countries. Due to the sanctions imposed by the US government on Cuba, we are unable to provide insurance cover for trips there.